PRESIDENT AT MERLIN LAW GROUP, P.A.
Going Legal – Nationwide GC O&P Case Law
William F. ‘Chip” Merlin, Jr. is the president and founder of the Merlin Law Group. His firm represents and advocates for policyholders both in an outside of the courtroom. Since 1983, Chip Merlin has served as a plaintiff’s attorney with a focus on Commercial & Residential Property Insurance Claim Disputes and Bad Faith Insurance Litigation.
Chip is a noted national authority on Insurance Bad Faith, lecturing to national trade groups and publishing a number of papers and articles on the subject. He is routinely invited to be a featured speaker on insurance law at some of the nation’s most prestigious conferences and seminars. Because of the breadth and depth of his knowledge and expertise, Chip is frequently sought to provide comment and insight into current legal issues on the stage of the national media. He has appeared on Fox News, ABC News, CNN, and MSNBC on topics as diverse as freedom of speech, employees and property owners’ rights to privacy, and slander and emotional distress.
He has addressed his peers at the American Bar Association, the American Association for Justice, and the Florida Justice Association. He has also presented before members of such organizations as the National Association of Public Insurance Adjusters (NAPIA), Florida Association of Public Insurance Adjusters (FAPIA), Community Associations Institute, and the Windstorm Network.
Mr. Merlin’s law firm, currently at 27 attorneys and growing, focuses its practice on the representation of policyholders. His thriving legal practice, with offices in Tampa, Coral Gables, and West Palm Beach, Florida, Houston, Texas, Los Angeles, California, Denver, Colorado, Phoenix, Arizona, New Jersey, and New York, focuses solely on insurance claims. The firm represents commercial, governmental, residential and private policyholders.
His practice focuses on insurance claim presentation and benefit recovery, insurance coverage, bad faith, and wrongful claims conduct litigation. He is a Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer and currently holds bar certifications in Florida, Mississippi, Texas, Tennessee, New Jersey, New York, the District of Columbia and California.
He is also the main contributor to discussion of property insurance law on the daily blog, PropertyInsuranceCoverageLaw.com.
Honors and Awards:
- AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Lawyer Rankings
- Super Lawyers®, a Thomson Reuters Business, 2007-2014
- Florida Trend Magazine: Florida’s Legal Elite, 2004 – 2013
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubble
- The National Law Journal® – Top Rated Lawyers 2011-2014
- Tampa Bay Magazine, Tampa Bay’s best Lawyers, 2010
- NAPIA, Co-Person of the Year, 2007
- Nexis Lexis Insurance Law Center Person of the Year 2008
- Policyholder Attorney of the Year, Honorable Mention, 2008
- Eagle Talon Award, The Florida Justice Association 1990
- Board of Directors, SoFAB
- Outstanding Amicus Brief of the Year, United Policyholders, 2002